Our Commitment to the Environment
DFS is committed to doing our part to protect the environment by designing and manufacturing products that help our customers operate their systems more efficiently and reduce their power consumption.
We also take steps in the office and on the road to minimize our own impact on the environment by reducing our energy consumption. Whenever we reduce energy use, we reduce our carbon footprint.
DFS, because of President and Owner Tom Smaidris, has been a recycler since way before it was fashionable. By recycling we reduce the amount of waste going into our overtaxed landfills and ease pressure on our limited natural resources.
For our Customers
- Our Solar Power Module uses energy from the sun to power a Remote Terminal Unit (RTU). Solar RTUs move some of our traditional telemetry equipment "off-the-grid."
- Symphony is a patented technology from DFS that uses SCADA to coordinate the system-wide operation of sewer lift stations, which results in diminished pump-run-times, less maintenance costs, and a reduction in pump energy expenses potentially 40% or more.
In our Community
- DFS provided a system designed to monitor and collect historical data on the technologies utilized in the Florida's Showcase Green Envirohome™ (FSGE) project such as energy savings, water flows, cistern levels, etc.
In the Office
- Paper and cardboard recycling.
- Toner recycling.
- Electronics recycling.
- Wire, copper and metal waste recycling.
- Battery recycling.
- Aluminum and plastic drink container recycling.
- Reuse all packing materials (bubble wrap, packing peanuts, styrofoam, etc.).
- Use and recycle energy efficient, traditional fluorescent and compact fluorescent light bulbs.
- Turning off PCs at the end of the day, and using the sleep settings on monitors and PCs. (This does not apply to primary HyperTAC II and HT3 workstations, which should not be allowed to sleep and should be left on at all times.)
- Air conditioning system uses the concepts of Symphony to cause the building's ten air conditioners to work together efficiently (reduction of approximately 15,000 kilowatts per month).
On the Road
- Fleet of fuel-efficient service and installation vehicles. Our vehicle fuel bill has decreased by more than $2000 per month since switching to more fuel-efficient vehicles.